Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The "Brighter" Side of the Philippines

Today we visited the American Cemetery as well as two museums.  We explored WWII and the Philippine-American relations.  The American Cemetery was a site to see.  Thousands of graves of Americans who fought for our country lay there.  I felt a sense of pride to come from such a patriotic country whose countrymen and women answer their call to fight for our nation.  America really is an amazing country.  We are given so many freedoms that others don’t have.  Yes this trip has made me see some of the negative things of my country but more so, I have been revealed to the positive.  We are so lucky to come from a liberal nation where countless opportunities are reachable at arm’s length.  Of course we need to work out some knots in this country but I can guarantee we don’t nearly have as many “knots” as other nations do.  Anyway, we are in Manila now which is in the more northern part of the Philippines.  Life here in Manila is so different than that of the Visayas Region.  I feel like I am in a “different” Philippines because the city is surrounded by sky scrapers and BMWs.  Just a few days ago I was living with a poor family, now today I mingle with the elites.  The divisions of social classes are very defined.  I like Manila, but this is not how the majority of Filipinos live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment