Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Life Revealed in a New Light

DAY 1- Bye Bye Civilization
Today was the day that we had to pack up our stuff, leave our hotel, and head to our home stays.  We are participating in Silliman University’s Service- Learning which is a program where they send university students to live with local families in the area as part of an immersion experience.  Every student was assigned to a community/village to live in for that week.  Yasmine and I were assigned to the same village.  Each student has a buddy, which is another student from Silliman University.  They are here to accompany us but we were all placed in different houses.  Yasmine and I departed our hotel around 3pm with our buddy partner from Silliman University, Rhona.  As we rode on the pedicab to the outskirts of the town, I felt as if we were leaving civilization. I didn’t know what to expect at my home stay.  Our briefing the previous day had prepared us for the worst: no beds, no running water, mosquitoes, no air conditioner.  The worst? Haha funny isn’t it, how the American definition of bad is not having an air conditioner. The pedicab came to a halt in front of a corn field.  "Where were the houses? we are in farmville!"  I thought to myself.  We began to march down a long dirt road with our bags on our backs and the sun scorching down on our sun-kissed faces.   We walked through a housing community then made our way through a field filled with goats and cows.  I felt as if we were walking forever, but it probably was not more than 7 minutes.  The sun and the weight of my bags made it feel even worse.   At this point, sweat was dripping off my face onto the grass.  We finally crossed a wooden plank over a sewage drain and stepped in to the territory of my new village and new home for the next week, “Gawid Kalinga Green Valley Village.”  There are about thirty small houses lined up closely to one another.  I passed a water pump on the way to my home stay’s house.  “Will I have to pump my own water to shower?” I thought to myself.  I arrived at my house and knocked on the door.  An adorable, bashful girl opened it with a smile on her face.  “Hi! I am Christine!” I happily said to her, giving her a hug.  “My parents aren’t home yet” she said, “but come in!”  I stepped through the threshold only to enter into a small living room, probably the size of my dorm room back at college.  I tried to keep a smile on my face so she wouldn’t see the shock that struck me.  What a small house this is. The walls are made out of thin wood and floral curtains serve as the doors to the rooms. There are only two rooms.   I didn’t dare peak my head inside the rooms but I wondered what they looked like and if they were small too.  The kitchen is in the back behind a floral curtain, as well, and I assumed the bathroom was back there.  I sat down on the little green couch in the hot living room; they had nothing but a small fan to circulate the air.  I brought Hawaiian lei’s with me and gave one to my host sister Yanie, the name of the girl that opened the door.  We began to converse and I soon learned that she was 16 years old and in her first year in college.  It is so crazy how young the people look here.  Anyway, so later in that evening we went to the wet market where I met the rest of my host family.  Tita Manulita, Tito Rene, and Ray Boy were waiting patiently outside of the market for us to arrive.  “Hellooo daughter!” my host mother said with excitement.  She is so cute and small. She probably doesn’t even make it up to my shoulders.  I could already tell the kind of mother she is, very loving, warm and proud of her family.  I think I have this gift.  Within talking to someone for two minutes I can get a feel of what kind of person they are.  My heart gets this feeling where I can tell when someone is truly genuine.  I don’t know, it may sound weird but I just get certain vibe.  I instantly got that feeling with her.  We explored the wet market which had raw fish, meat, and rice, all over.  I have never seen anything like this.  It was chaotic and busy with people shouting and hauling around barrels of fish, but it was exciting all at the same time.  We bought fish and meat to cook for the week.  When we arrived back home I sat and chatted with the family, told them a little about myself and learned about them.  Tita Manulita works at a pre-school and Tito Rene works for the government.  Yanie and Rey Boy both are in college; Rey Boy is in his second year while Yanie is in her first.   As we got ready for bed they guided me in the direction of the room closes to the couch.  I pushed back the curtain only to see that there was a little futon on the floor and a little shrine with Jesus Christ, crosses, rosaries, and bibles.  It made me happy to see all of these catholic items because I too am catholic.  Tita Manulita apologized for the house being so small but I told her that it wasn’t a problem.  The only fan in the house that was originally in the living room was moved to my room. I told them to keep the fan in the living room for the entire family but she insisted to let it stay in my room.  I felt horrible because I had the only fan in the house to myself.  I went to brush my teeth and finally got to see the kitchen and bathroom.  When you enter the house you only see the living room and the two rooms, then in the back part of the house is the kitchen and bathroom.  They had one sink which was in the kitchen.  That was where I brushed my teeth.   The bathroom door had a hole in it and didn’t close properly but I was surprised to see a flushing toilet and shower head because everyone else in the community needed to fetch their water and use pales to shower and flush the toilet (I was told).  I went to sleep for the night.  In the middle of the night I got up to use the bathroom.  I tiptoed and made my way through the living room where I saw Yanie sleeping on the couch and Rey Boy sleeping on the floor.  I figured Tita and Tito were in the room next to me but when I entered the kitchen I saw them peacefully sleeping on the ground.  Tita had her arm rapped gently around Tito and although they were sleeping, they looked happy.  I was surprised to see that all they slept on was a blanket. No mattress, just a blanket.  My heart broke.  I walked back to my room and plotted myself on the ground.  I just sat there and tried to comprehend how they could live in such a small place, how they could sleep on the ground, how they could live their life like this.







DAY 2- Debbie Downer Mood
 Today I woke up sweating with a headache.  I didn’t want to move out of my bed, I didn’t want to get up because it was so hot.  But, I got up and joined the family for breakfast.  Shortly after they departed for work and school, I went back to sleep for an hour more and was woken up by Rhona, my buddy, who informed me that we would be visiting the Barangay captain.  The Barangay means village and the Barangay captain is the appointed government official who is in charge of the entire village.  “Greatttttttt” I thought in my head sarcastically.  I didn’t want to move.  I didn’t want the day to begin.   How sad is that?  To not even want to get out of bed and start your day.  It wasn’t a good feeling.  I’m usually an excited person but I was in a weird mood.  Yasmine, Rhona, Tita Muriel (Rhona’s host mom), and I embarked on our journey to the Barangay Captain’s office.  When I say journey it really felt like one.  Tita Muriel told us she knew a shortcut but it really seemed more like a long cut. Haha.  The sun was beating down on us.  We were all sweating.  Yasmine and I, the most talkative and energetic ones out of our entire group, were so quite.   We weren’t laughing, we weren’t talking, and we weren’t asking questions, we were just quite.  I was in a funky mood. The heat was really wearing me down.  I felt like a slug and I just wanted the day to be over.  I was miserable.  We walked back to our village and no sense of excitement filled me.  I knew I’d be returning to my little house, my little room with no bed and no AC.  Great.  I plopped back down on the ground and just passed out.  I was woken up to Tita Manulita (my host mom) who came home to being me some lunch.  She left back for work and Yasmine, Rhona, and I had plans to go to Valencia where they would be opening a new Gawad Kalinga village.  Gawid Kalinga, which means “Give Care”, is a foundation that is dedicated to building communities for the poor.  Their mission is to empower these communities and end poverty for 5 million families by 2024.  This foundation and its volunteers and workers are TRUE heroes in my eyes.  Gawid Kalinga built the community that I live in.  So, we were off to see the latest project of GK.  They were handing over the community that they built to the poor families in Valencia, another municipality.  On our way there, the mood was still grim.  We caught a pedi cab into the city and sat at an ice cream shop to wait for our ride from one of the GK directors.  Of course we bought ice cream.  We waited for an hour.  Yasmine was so upset, she was writing in her journal and I noticed she began to cry.  I think her and I were just going through shock.  We’ve never had a lifestyle like the one that we were experiencing.  I’ve never had to feel so hot that I was going to faint, I’ve never had sleep on the ground, I’ve never been in such a small house.  It was just day 2 and we had the whole week to last through this.  Yasmine suggested that we go across the street to the internet café because there were computers and AC.  I was so stoked to go in the internet café.  Yayyy AC and technology! Haha wow, who knew that such amenities could brighten up your day?  After that, the mood picked up and Yasmine and I felt more energized. Having 30 minutes of computer time in a cooled room was the cure for our “sloth-like” behavior.  We attended the ceremony in Valencia where they opened a new GK community.  It was a nice event. We met the mayor of Valencia as well as various volunteers and the stakeholders of the community.  The mayor gave us free zip lining passes so we zip lined after the event.  It was great.  In the evening, we returned to our village where we played outside with the children and I joined my family for dinner.  I washed the dished after dinner to be polite.  I felt sad though because here I was being helpful for a family I just met but yet at home I was too lazy to wash the dishes of my own family.  I actually was quite embarrassed that I wasn’t as helpful to my own family.  I told myself in my head that when I get home I would make it a point to let my mother rest after dinner and let me wash the dishes.  At the end of the night I engaged in an interesting conversation with my host mother.  I don’t know how the topic was brought up but one thing she said stuck out from the conversation in my mind was when she said, “You know Christine” in her little Filipino accent, “we don’t have much, we don’t have a big house, but we have our family, and good health, and I pray to god that he continues to bless us with love and good health.  We have everything we need and I thank god for that”  Wow.  This women really has life all figured out.  As long as you have family, god, good health, I don't think you could be any richer.


Day 3- AHH Cockroach!!
We tried to visit an elementary and high school today to see how the education system works in the Philippines.  Unfortunately the principle of our school of choice did not allow us to tour the premises because we did not have an endorsed letter for our visitation.  So, we ventured off to the mall to use the internet cafe and eat some halo-halo.  Came home in the evening and played with the kids.  There are so many children in the village.  They are so rambunctious and playful.  But so PRECIOUS.  I helped my family cook dinner then cleaned up.  Had a hard time sleeping cause of the cockroach that decided to chill in my room.  I was too scared to touch it so I just wrapped myself in my mosquitoe net and tried to sleep.  haha


Day 4 - Really thoughhh?!? 3 grades in one classroom!?
Today we were able to visit a different elementary and high school.  The quality of education in the Philippines is very low in my opinion.  At the elementary school, the nice principal gave us a tour.  There were about three different grades in once class, one teacher taught each grade.  The teacher spends time with one grade for thirty minutes then moves to the next grade.  One teacher for three different grades in one classroom!? That is insane.  How do the children receive the proper attention?  The high school was just as bad, there were about 50-60 student per teacher.  In my high school the maximum number of students were about 20.  High school is a critical time for students as they are about to enter the adult world and discipline is essential.  I’m sure that due to the high number of students in the one classroom, it is easy for one to drift off and get distracted rather than staying focused on the curriculum.  Here in the Philippines they graduate high school at the age of 16 and then enter college.  Could you imagine finishing college at the age of 20?  That would be great.  I would go ahead to finish my maters or law degree and be done around 22 or 23.  That is so awesome.  After our visit, we headed to our haven…the mall.  Got a few hours of AC and computer time, and then went back to our village.  I helped to cook dinner and did the dishes again. 

Day 5- Gawad Kalinga A.k.a. HEROS
Today we met with some of the volunteers and workers of Gawad Kalinga.  We were meeting to brainstorm ideas on what kinds of activities we could do for the youth and children of our community so that they could be empowered.  Kuya Joeseph, one of the workers of GK had a nice program outline.  In the evening, we would gather the youth and hold an activity where they shared their hopes and dreams. Saturday we would have a art activities and dancing for the children.  After a few hours of planning and working out the details, we headed back to our village.  I helped to cook dinner, we ate, and then we gathered the youth.  Rhona went around asking everyone to draw an object that represents what they want to be when they grow older. Although they were very shy to share their hopes and dreams, everyone in the circle did and it was beautiful to see how their face lit up when they talked about what they wanted for their future…Teacher, accountant, famous guitarist, rich, dancer, travel the world, architecture.  It was amazing to hear of the hopes and ambitions that they had, it made me happy.  Rhona continued her talk and encouraged them to never give up on their dreams no matter how hard it may seem to reach them.  Toward the end of the session, I got sad because in my heart I knew how hard it would be to reach their dreams.  Not because they weren’t capable, but because they don’t have the means or resources.  They are poor.  Education is expensive.  Some of these children live in families where there are 6 or 7 children.  Money is very limited and it’s especially limited if the parents have so many children that they need to support.  As I sat there listening to them I started to tear up, but I didn’t want anyone to see me so I tried my hardest to fight back my tears.  I started to reflect on my life and my opportunities.  Man, I have it made.  Traveling the world, going to a great university, simply having my own cell phone and computer…the list goes on and on.  It breaks my heart that I have things and have done things that some of these kids will never have or be able to do in their life.  Tonight I think I realized the value of my opportunities.  I mean don’t get me wrong, I have always cherished and greatly appreciated the things I have in my life, I have never took it for granted, but tonight I think seeing what they have, and seeing what I have, I really have learned the true value.  After the session I came back to my room and sat on my futon-of-a-bed and cried.  Cried because this all makes me so sad.  These people are so beautiful and loving, why must they go through this?  What did I do to deserve the life that I have?  Why did god give me so much and them so little?  I cried because I am so frustrated because in the past few weeks I have met so many amazing people facing hardships and I get so frustrated because I don’t know what there is that I can do to help.  I am frustrated because I want to take every human trafficked girl, poor child in the slums, families in my GK community and take them back home with me so they can live my life with me.  I feel hopeless because what can one girl from Hawaii do to save this entire nation?  I want to save this nation.  I want to save these people.


Day 6- The Children are Our Future
Today we spent the day with the children.  As Rhona conducted art activities with the little ones, Yanie, Rey Boy, Me, and some of the GK volunteers headed to the market to buy food and prizes for the kids.  We came back home and made food for the kids; Pancit, hotdogs, and juice.  The kids were so excited to share with me their pictures of what they want to be when they grow older.  Like I said before, they are so precious, so full of life and spirit.  How I wish I could protect each one of these children from their harsh reality of impoverishment.  We played more games and sang and danced with them.  I’m going to sleep feeling happy tonight.  I am happy that we were able to make the children of the community happy.  I hope they remember me when I am gone.  I hope that I’ve made an impact in their life as much as they have in mine.
















Day 7- Farewell Party
I am sad.  Tonight marks my last night here in the GK community.  I have made so many friends, no wait scratch that, I have gained a new family.  I love everyone so much in this community.  Tonight they hosted a farewell party for Yasmine and I.  The entire community came out and danced and sang for us.  I wasn’t expecting to have a program; it was really nice of them.  I am not ready to leave this community.  There is so much love and kindness here.  I’m beginning to see a trend…everywhere we have traveled in the Philippines, I have been exposed to nothing but hospitable and genuine, kind people.  It must be something in the water because the people of the Philippines are really something else.  I am so proud to say that I am half Filipina.  I come from a beautiful culture.


Day 8- I Will Remember You All
The kids saw me walking out with my bags this morning and instantly ran to my side and grabbed on to me.  “Don’t leave Ate Christine!” I was so sad.  I wasn’t ready to leave, I didn’t want to leave them for I  knew that once I was gone, I’d leave behind the many kind souls to live in impoverishment while I paraded back to my privileged life in the U.S.  Couldn’t I just pack them all in my suitcase and take them back with me? Oh how I only wish I could give every individual the life I have.  I have a hard time coping with that fact that these little kids will grow up with limited opportunities.  Even more so, with the fact that their now aging parents would continue to struggle to make ends meet until the day they die.  It really is harsh and depressing to think about it.  Over the past few days I have created such strong bonds with the people I’ve encountered.  I hate the fact that I meet so many wonderful people and then have to leave them and continue on with my life.  But that is life, you meet so many people that make an impression on you and sometimes you have to say goodbye.  To me it wasn’t goodbye, it was an “I’ll see you later.”  I will keep all of them in my heart.  My Tita and Tito (my relatives) picked me up from my home stay and dropped me back off at the hotel.  I was back in my comfort done…AC, hot showers, bed, etc.  But I didn’t feel happy for I knew that my host family was back at home in their little house.  In the afternoon we had a de-briefing where we all shared and presented our experiences on what we learned.  Many of us were revealed to a new side of life.  It was nice to learn that nearly everyone had a positive experience.  Later in the evening our host families joined us for a celebration.  We had presentations, a Filipino dinner, and enjoyed each other’s company.  It would be the last time that we got to spend time with our host families.  Many laughs and tears were shared tonight.  I said my final goodbyes to my host family.  I already miss them.



No comments:

Post a Comment