Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It’s not about the money, money, money…


My last night with my Brokenshire friends. 
Greg and I went to MTS to watch a cultural performance.  It was all in Cebuano but it was very entertaining to see!  Later our friends from Brokenshire joined us.  God, they are such wonderful people.  I can’t stress that enough, if they could only understand how lucky I feel to be their friend.  But they think it’s the other way around. Last night as everyone was laughing and talking, I drifted off into a conversation with one of the boys. 
“Christine, we are so blessed that you are our friend.   Other foreigners we meet don’t talk to us, but I remember the first day that you arrived, you smiled and were so kind to us, we feel so lucky because you are above us but you take the time to talk to us.”
 I replied, “Above you? What do you mean by that?”
 He answered, “Our lifestyle is different than yours Christine, you are very privileged.  We have nothing to offer you that you don’t already have but you still choose to be our friend, I feel so blessed….”
 I started to tear up.  I had no idea he felt this way and it made me sad to think that they thought that they were lower than me because they didn’t have as much.  What made me even sadder was that he felt like he had nothing to offer me.  He had everything to offer me and that is a friendship which I value way more than materialistic things.  I replied to him, “We are all the same, we are equal.  And even though you may want our life, there are many of us (Americans) who admire and want yours.”  If it’s one of the things that I have noticed in the past few weeks from being here, it is that the Filipinos have great values. Family and friends are so important to them.  Many Americans find security in money and their career, but Filipinos find security in the relationships and bonds that they create, the relationships with their family and friends.  This is something so beautiful.  They value one of the most important things in life.  Money and a career are great for your life, but at the end of the day, it is your family and friends who will take care of you.   It is your family and friends who will be there for you , love you, and care for you.  Money can’t do that.   I feel so blessed and LUCKY that they let me into their life.  I never once thought of them being lower than me.  They desire the life that many of us have but the life that they live is beautiful and I know that many of the students that I am here on this trip with, admire their lives.  Materialistic things are nice and yes a lot of us Americans are so privileged, but what many forget to remember is that the love and kindness that we give and receive is the greatest gift above all.  I’d rather be rich with love and friendship than rich with money.  I feel so BLESSED for the wonderful friendships that my friends in Davao have shared with me.  I am going to miss them! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment