Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world...

Not a day goes by that I don’t think about the people and events that I have experienced in the Philippines this summer.  It has been exactly 16 days since I’ve left the Philippines; the memories of the children I encountered, people I’ve interacted with, relationships that I have created are still deeply engrained in my mind.  I’m at a loss of words right now.  I sit here STILL trying to fathom everything that I went through in the Philippines, still trying to understand and process the things that I saw and experienced.  I just feel like no one will understand what I’m feeling right now.  In the last two weeks, numerous times I’ve been asked, “How was your trip to the Phililppines?” And with a few words I answer, “It was amazing!"  But the real significance of my time spent in the Philippines goes beyond words.  One just has to experience and feel it to fully comprehend it all.  Today I feel it more than ever for some reason.  I sit here reminiscing about my trip and it triggers different emotions in me.  I feel the burden and sadness of the reality of life, the harsh reality of life, which differs so greatly than that of my sweet, sheltered American life.  I really have nothing to complain about.  Many people here in America have nothing to complain about.  I find that people in my country are always searching for something more than what they already have.  They want more money, they want the newest technological gadget, they want the nicest car, they want more, more, more, more…Well what about what you already have?  Why don’t we start looking at what we have instead of being dissatisfied at what we don’t have?  I have come back to America with a new vision and new meaning of life.  Honestly, how could one not be touched from what I saw?  How could one not be changed?  Every night I lay in my comfortable, warm bed with my soft pillows and can’t help but think about how my host family is back in the Philippines, lying on the kitchen floor with nothing but a thin blanket that serves as their mattress.  I want to cry because I am here in my privileged lifestyle wearing trendy clothes, getting meals every day, and driving my own car, while there are thousands and thousands of people that I left behind back in the Philippines who don’t have anything.  I didn’t mean to leave them behind, I didn’t want to.  I hope they know that.  I still remember walking through Smokey Mountain where the impoverished children jumped on me and played with me.  They were so full of life and spirit, such happy little ones.  I still remember visiting the communities in which the prostituted girls lived in.  One little girl still resonates in my mind.  She is 12 years old.  What a genuine smile she had…always posing for the camera when I pointed it at her, so friendly and energetic.  I learned the next day after hanging out with her that she had been prostituted.  I didn’t want to believe it.   I just couldn’t believe it.  How could this innocent little 12 year old girl be a prostitute?  What human being in their right mind could be so cruel and sick and do this to someone?  It just doesn’t make sense, what has the world come to?  What have we as human beings come to?  We are caught up with our daily lives, so concerned about our own problems and issues that we fail to realize that there is an entire world out there that is crumbling into pieces.  War, crime, violence, prostitution, terrorists, hate, famine…the list goes on.  I constantly asked myself and still ask myself what can I do?  What can I do, as an individual, to save the people in this country?  Even more so, to save the people of this world?  Can I make a difference? Where do I start? Better yet, where do WE start? This past summer was the first time in my life that I have been fully exposed to the harsh world that exists for most.  Not just read about it in the books or see it on the TV, but actually EXEPERIENCE it.  For me it was just a study abroad program where once it was over, I could go back to my normal life.  For them, this IS their life.  This trip has revealed to me so many new things.  It showed me that I don’t need much to live.  It made me immensely thankful and yet disgusted with the life that I come back to now.  I find it hard to reconcile the two sides, as I am both happy and sad that I get to enjoy so much.  Every experience in the Philippines has become a part of me.  And I think that people need to have more of an incentive to be concerned about things that matter.  Can I make a difference? Where do I start? How? These questions lie close to my heart.  My time in the Philippines has only emphasized the things I seek in life.  I have finally found my passion, my calling, my purpose in life: I want to help others, I NEED to help people.

To My Parents:

I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for them.  My parents have worked SO HARD to give me the beautiful life that I have.  They dedicated themselves to making sure that I prosper and do well in my future.  If it wasn't for their support and encouragement, I would have never been able to travel around the world like I do or receive a good education.  If it weren't for them, I would have never been able to go through these experiences.  They have been so selfless and have given my sister and me anything we could have ever asked for.  I hope they realize that I recognize the hard work that they have done and appreciate it to the fullest.  It’s really all because of them that I am the person that I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment