Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Apo Island: no electricity or water, whaaaaaa?




Day 1
Today we hopped on a boat and ventured off to Apo Island; an island about an hour off of the shores of Dumaguete.  The island is small.  During the day there is no electricity or there is no running water what so ever.  The electricity is turned on from 6pm-9pm then shuts off.  Could you imagine having no electricity?  I wouldn’t know what I would do.  But I bet life is simple and enjoyable there.  We arrived to our resort which is absolutely beautiful.  My room is right on the beach, perfect.  We were given the option of snorkeling today in the Protected Marine Sanctuary.   A local guided us.  We got to walk through the village so it was nice to see how people live here.  Snorkerling was amazing.  I saw so many turtles, fish, and coral.  It was breathtaking.  I grabbed on to a turtle’s back and rode it.  I felt so close to the ocean.  As I said before, I love everything that deals with the ocean.  We ate lunch and dinner on the beach and then started a bon fire with some of the locals.  We drank, sang, laughed, and enjoyed each other’s company.  This is the life, but I still miss my GK community.  I am still thinking about them, they are at home now lying on the hard ground going to sleep. :/





Day 2
I woke up today, put on my bathing suit, and walked two steps out of my room to the beach and relaxed.  After breakfast I decided to take a hike to the lighthouse with some of my classmates.  The hike was long.  When we got to the top I was expecting to see a huge lighthouse, but instead we found a broken-down small one.  But it’s alright because the view was to die for.  We were on top of Apo Island overlooking the ocean.  I got back to the resort, had some lunch, then we packed up and headed back to Dumaguete.

No comments:

Post a Comment